Checklist: Documents You Need when Applying for a Mortgage

August 27, 2012
Jason Neumann, Realtor

Whether you are considering buying a new home or refinancing your existing mortgage, important personal information and documents will be required by lenders. This checklist gives an overview of the necessary documentation that most Canadian lenders require prior to approving and funding a mortgage. By providing these documents in a timely fashion, you will help to ensure a speedy approval/renewal process.

Buying a Home?

Information that describes the property you are purchasing:

  • Contract of Purchase and Sale Agreement*
  • MLS Detail Feature Sheet*
  • Property Disclosure Statement (PDS)*
  • Title search*
  • Strata property information: Form B, Meeting Minutes, Strata Fees* **
  • Name, address, telephone number of your solicitor/notary
  • Confirmation of your down payment:
  • Savings or investment statement from the last 90 days
  • Sale of an existing property – a copy of the sale agreement
  • Gift letter if down payment funds are from family, friend etc.
  • Withdrawal from RRSP through the Home Buyer’s Plan

Employment verification:

  • Copy of latest pay slip
  • T4
  • Letter of employment
  • T1 General and Notice of Assessment (NOA) if self-employed

Refinancing Your Home?

Information that describes your existing property:

  • Recent mortgage statement
  • Current homeowner insurance policy
  • Recent property tax statement
  • Legal description of your property

Additional information that may be required…

As part of your application process, you may be asked questions relating to what you owe and own. Some projected expenses relating to your property such as taxes, heating costs and condo fees may be requested.

Once the Lender has Given Final Approval:

  • A void cheque for the account that the mortgage funds are to be debited from.

This checklist is by no means exhaustive, as each lender has criteria that are important to them. Should you have any questions about applying for a mortgage or refinancing an existing property, speak with a mortgage professional. Your Realtor will be able to refer someone in your area.


*Your real estate agent will be able to provide these documents to your bank or mortgage broker.

**Typically required if purchasing strata-titled property.

Jason Neumann is a Realtor with CENTURY 21 Assurance Realty in Kelowna, BC. 

Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.